Hire a Brompton bike for less than £2 a week
Earlier this year, South West Trains, part of Stagecoach Group, joined forces with Brompton Bicycle in a bid to encourage passengers to cycle as part of a fully integrated low carbon journey combining bike and train. The company invited some of its season ticket holders to take part in a free trial of the scheme, using Brompton’s iconic folding bikes.
Now, South West Trains is making 50 bikes available for hire to South West Trains season ticket holders and the general public. These bikes have no travel restrictions and can be carried on all South West Trains services. However, all folding cycles must be stowed as luggage.
For season ticket holders, a South West Trains Brompton bike can be hired for up to a year for less then £2 a week. A selection of daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual bike hire options are also available for non-season-ticket holders.
How to hire?
The South West Trains Brompton bike scheme is managed from the Lost Property Office at London Waterloo. For a £100 returnable deposit, the bikes can be hired by season ticket holders at the following rates: -
- £5 Weekly
- £20 Monthly
- £50 Quarterly
- £100 Annual
The rates for non-season ticket holders are as follows:
- £5 Daily
- £15 Weekly
- £40 Monthly
- £100 Quarterly
- £250 Annual
Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest or receive more information.
All bikes are fitted with lights and hirers will be offered bike helmets, a bike carrier bag and panniers.
South West Trains are working in partnership with Brompton bikes and London On Your Bike, to service and maintain the bikes.
South West Trains are offering the option of taking out bike cover for £25. This will cover the difference between the deposit and the cost of replacing the bike if it is lost or stolen.
£10 travel voucher
As an added incentive, customers who take up the offer for a minimum of three months before the end of September 2009 will receive a £10 travel voucher.
Terms & Conditions
- There are only a limited number of bikes which will be issued on a first come first serve basis.
- A £100 returnable deposit is required for each bike hired.
- The deposit will be forfeited or partly forfeited, if the bike is returned damaged or requires professional cleaning.
- All bikes will need to be returned every 3 months for on-going maintenance and cleaning.
- Season Ticket holders of other Train Operator Companies are not entitled to the South West Trains season ticket holder discounted rates.
- No refunds will be offered if a bike is returned early.
- If the bike cover option is not taken out (£25), the hirer will be liable to pay the difference between the replacement cost of the bike and the existing paid deposit.
- All hirers will be required to confirm that they are in good health, will conform to the cycling code and not mis-use the bike.